Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My home-made cat toy

Our friends cats are just like ours, their babies. In fact their boy cat is my boy cats father.
Anyway, we make sure to give presents for the "babies" every year also.
I bought a packet of little toys with feathers attached and also decided to make some, as my boy kitty just loves lots of legs and the one similar to this, that I made them.

Cut out your fabric, mine is polar fleece, and cut enough to make 5 fairly big ones, big enough for them to bury their face in but not big enough for the legs to get wrapped around their necks (be very careful when choosing the size for this reason)

I marked on my fabric about how big I wanted my "stuffed head" area to be.

Then I just used the serger and did rough head shapes on each piece. As you can see my guide line was just that.. I went out of the lines heaps. If you only had a sewing machine you could still sew it up like I have but just cut off the excess fabric after you have sewn each one.
( I made sure it was a close sew to make it safer for my kitties)

Then I just got out my bag of trusty fabric scraps ( I don't throw anything out!),
Turned the sewn pieces inside out and stuffed the heads.
I then just did a straight, close sew across under the head, make sure to "fix" each side on your sewing machine and cut the threads close as you can to the fabric (this is the right side of your fabric and we don't want chances of kitties swallowing threads.)
This is a little hard to explain... I then cut my legs (make sure they are wide, to be stronger)
I then took the 2 end strips from the back and tied them at the front in a reef knot (that way it can not come undone)
And then, turned the toy over and did the same on this side.


Here are my kitty toys. I didn't add eyes etc, I don't think the cats really care, it's just for humans; Because I don't like strange things going into my cats tummies.
This is my little girl kitty saying "Oh hello colourful toy! You iz mine now!"
WARNING:
With all cat toys, they should ideally be played with only supervised. I know this is not always the case, but IF your toys have any long string or dangles ,Never let them play with it alone... my kitty almost choked to death after I left him for not even 1 minute to pour my tea.. when I came back he had wrapped it around his neck (from playing) and was choking.
Luckily I thought quick and he was ok. It was a BIG lesson for me and hopefully for someone else out there.

Also, you should check your kitties toys regularly for wear. Kitties can play rough sometimes, bite things apart, and there are so many things on toys that kitties cat eat and them become a bowl obstruction and require surgery.
All this can be avoided if you just take 5 min's once a week of every few days for younger cats to check the toys for integrity. :)

ps: I am not a "sewer" so it is ok if you laugh at my uneven lines etc ;) I just try and have fun doing it :)

No comments: