I just couldn't bear to set another up in there, I can't stand clutter and needed space, so I am getting rid of the double bed that was in there, and in it's place will be this neat trundle type bed that hotels use; That way I have room to sleep 2 people while also having room to move when no-one is staying over.
So, the first thing I did was to "try" to slide the carriage across the rails.. negative movement. The drum had seized up almost totally on on side.
Long story short, it is working excellent now!
Here is what worked for me... NB: I have no training nor been told/shown what to do, this I just experimented with and worked. Please be aware before trying yourself and check into it maybe with a qualified person.
Undo these two screws at the back of the carriage and keep safe somewhere.
I did a boo boo here. About in between the front of the carriage and the lever on the side, is a little clip of sorts that clips under a lip on the inside.
It looks nothing like this, but is how it works, so you understand how I got it off.
I broke one of those clips because I didn't know they were there and couldn't see what was still holding it on.
Next time I would, squeeze the area in that spot above and slide forward.
So now I had good access to the drums, after fiddling around I found that spraying an electronics cleaner (the ones that practically evaporate on contact),in and around the drum gave me a little movement.
From there I sprayed a little more till everything looked tip top, then just started turning, adding some sewing machine oil, turn, add, turn add.
Now it glides just about as sooth as the other.
The turning is a must to work the cleaner, then the oil into the mechanism.
Just a reminder... this could be totally wrong... I have to stress constantly that I am just experimenting and don't know what I am doing, so please, ask your friends, guild, etc, but this worked for me and just thought I would share because I didn't like the prospect at first, of pulling the carriage completely apart, nor buying a new drum :)
...............................


No comments:
Post a Comment