Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Wry Neck...

This is what happened when i was brushing my teeth on Wednesday morning. It was pretty bad, couldn't;t hardly move my head and has spasms that would make me stop when they were happening.
Went to the docs and was prescribed Panadine forte, took some; they lessened the pain but it was still there.
Went to the phisyo the next day (expensive), and he gave it a rub and stretch the muscles, showed me exercises and hubby what to do.
Practiced exercises  and was careful with all that i done ( really wanted to get better as so much to do), woke up Friday night, got out of bed and had mind numbing pain in left shoulder.. I have never given birth, but the pain waves i was getting ... all I could do from scream each time... they were the worst I have felt.
Called the medical line to check if anything I could do, husband had to talk as I was screaming every time I had a wave of the pain,instructed to go to hospital as there are other ways to manage pain.
Triage nurse gave some tablets? while waiting for Er doc. didn't work, still pain and trying not to scream  so loud when in waiting room.
Got into see doc, wanted to give me some pain killers, asked if they were like pethidine, because last time I had that it made me so sick i was better with the pain. he said they were the same line, but he would give me other tablet to off set the sick.. hesitated long time, but pain got the better of me and said yes.. no sickness, doc was right.
Said i should stay in hospital, to see phisyo and because he didn't want to send me home like I was and also, so he could give me the stronger medication, which they had to observe when given.
hesitated a long time (wanted to go home), but wanted to he pain to ease or go away more.
drugged out of my mind, head all fuzzy, but couldn't sleep, shoulder kept waking me up with pain waves, not as intense or as long, but still there. Nurses were really nice, always so hard to explain how bad the pain is, wish there was some sort of meter they could hook you up to , to see and believe just how bad it was.. some of us handle pain better..(because we are too embarrassed to scream out loud).
Phisyo finally came, pain happened when first started talking to him, he then took me for a walk and nothing, walked up stairs nothing... not sure weather he believed or not, but was scared it was like when you go to the docs symptoms disappear then when you get home they are back again.
Nothing I could do, so i just said thanks and asked to go home, doc wrote out some prescriptions and I only got the one; Figured that I would get the other if I needed it.
Searing should pain was good through the night, and by time of waking up this morning (touch wood gone).
The only different thing I did was sleep sitting up, so I didn't strain or pull the muscles trying to get up out of bed.
pain from Wry neck still there, but easing up.. must be getting better, but still can't lift anything with weight to it yet, at least it's on the mend, and the wry neck is nothing now compared to having those awful pains, it's funny how relative things are.. we forget.

I am sorry to physios, but I think if there is a next time of this happening ( hopefully not), I will just be getting the pain killers to relax the muscle, make sure to keep moving around gently, to keep the blood flowing, and sleep upright, so it is easier to get up and out of bed without stuffing anything else.

Oh, and I made a deal with the universe last night that if I was allowed to get better now I would exercise every day... I was better this morning.. almost good.. almost.. that means have to keep my part of deal :( LOL

4 comments:

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

That sounds awful!!! Glad it is getting better now.

Re-Illy Unique said...

Thank you, it was :)
Just posted it, incase i ever get it again ( so i know what not to do and what to do), and for other people :)

Bella said...

I'm so sorry you had this pain in your neck. I can only imagine how bad if was! There is only one thing that I can suggest for you as you haven't mentioned it - Thermacare Heatwraps. My mother has chronic ischias and these have helped her enormously. It's a good idea to have them on hand - it could save you a trip to the ER!
(no affiliation whatsoever with the company -just passing on the tip that changed my mother's everyday life!)

Re-Illy Unique said...

Thanks Jemajo :) It was gone the next week.
They say they don't know what causes them, so no way to prevent or know when you may get it.
I have home made heat packs and it eased the neck a little but not the spamsaming, I am sure it was unrelated to it, or maybe the wry neck caused something else to happen.. either way thankgoodness it is gone, I owuld imagine a baby being delivered would be as painful that day (the wry neck was for a little over a week (which was awful in itself), but that horrible pain, was only the day. :)