Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Foot for my sewing machine


The picture is just for the sake of having a pretty picture there.
I have been slack with the posting, I get in moods like "only post when you have something to post about", then others where I have tons of things to post about and try and post every day.

I thought I would just share a story that not even shopkeepers know best.
A couple of years ago I bought my sewing machine brand new, and not knowing a whole lot about sewing..(still learning), I went to a specialist sewing machine shop.
I told the lady what I wanted to do (free motion embroidery or thread painting, she called it), and she said you need a special foot, and sold me one for $45.. ouch!
Well, a couple of years later I get over my "what if I fail" and try it out. There were no instructions, so I had to fiddle to work out how to put it on, when I finally worked it out, it would make a huge big clunk when I lowered the needle.
I found that the wire bit coming out of the top was catching on the needle screw, but there was no other way that the foot would go on, I know this because I tried for a few hours.
In the end I called the lady at the shop, feeling stupid because this lady would know best right?
I had to bring the machine and the foot into the shop, turns out it was the wrong foot for the machine, she swapped it over for one that works, so all is well now.
However I am just re-telling the story because, even though you think the experienced old lady that runs and has run the sewing machine shop for years, knows all. They too are prone to mistakes, so don't take all for gospel, listen, but research on your own :)

No comments: