It is so ugly, but it was my first and I was just feeling my way.
My husband had a thing on his eye ( I forget the big choco word for it), anyway we did some research on the net and found that putting heat on it for a few minutes several times a day would seem the most effective.
Now when my nan passed away I got her sewing machine, I love anything different and wanted to create my own clothing etc, but have been too afraid to really give anything a try, hell I didn't (and still not properly) know how to use a sewing machine.
Don't get me wrong I have done lots of mending etc, with great frustration a lot of the time trying to get things right, but perseverance pays in the end (thank goodness!). (and to have the sewing machine instruction manual sitting in front of you :P)
Determined I read up on how to make those wheat sacs, and found that you could use linseed.
One night while my husband was working I thought "stuff it I am going to try" and that I did.
All I did was kind of get 4 squares of material, some linseed and some other material I had cut a pattern out of.
Ironed on the material I had cut out onto one of the pieces of material ( I forgot to appliqué around it OOPS!), the joined the two right sides together to create it's pillow slip. (I should have made the end hems before I joined them both, but meh, will know next time).
then I sewed up the same with the material to hold the seeds, filled a third of the seeds in, pinned it up close but not to close so you could allow the seeds to move freely around, then close stitched the divider and did this process twice more, so there are 3 little pockets of seeds.
Put him in his little pillow case and then made the next one.
I remembered to stitch around the appliqué this time and do the hem of the "pillowcase" before joining both sides together. This one though I don't have a photo of but it turned out much nicer, only thing was it was my first time stitching appliqué let alone with a machine so there were a few lumpy bits where the machine caught and secondly I didn't even out the seeds as good as I did the first try ( I think next time I will weigh them so I get a good even coverage per channel).
I gave this one to out friends with a little "how to use me note".
I am going to try and make a few to sell on ebay or Oztion with my little note included and see how they go. With the linseed filling it is so soft and snuggly, and the little pillowcase makes it much easier to keep clean. I have to keep trying to have my time at home when not cleaning etc, worthwhile.
Just if you are interested and for those with these bags...
- Put a cup of water in the microwave with it when you are heating
- Never heat more than 3 minutes, but 2 min's then 10 seconds a time till you get the heat right is best
- Never leave it alone while heating
- Never re-heat it until it has totally cooled down
2 comments:
Hello. And Bye.
lol Hi and bye
Post a Comment