Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

First timer Blind Hem or Invisible hem

This is not all tech jargon so to any one who knows their sew stuff. sorry! hehe

This is on a pair of pants I repaired, but can be worked on any hem.
Just take your time! If you rush it you will see the difference.

So I read my trusty sewing book and had a few goes, unpick go again till I got it right.

  • Use a thread a similar colour, I know it is a blind stitch but it doesn't hurt.
  • No matter whether it has a crease where it was stitched before or not, use pins!
This is what happens when you think "just holding it right will do", see all the puckering (yep it was un picked hehe)
blind hem
  • How we stitch it.. you want to do 2 small stitches in the hem only, not going through to the main body of the fabric, as shown below

blind hem
  • Then you will pick up with your needle only a few strands directly above your 2 stitches but into the main body of fabric and the main body only.
See where I picked up the threads from the fabric... directly above.
blind hem
See how many little threads are on the needle. The needle has not gone through to the other side at all.
Blind Hem
  • You will do this same thing till the end.
  • don't use too long a thread, just about the size of your forearm as they start to get a little ratty going in and out of the fabric.
  • and don't forget to tie your knots at the beginning and end of your work
  • and lastly TENSION... don't pull to tight, actually don't pull tight at all.
As you can see, no stitches showing, no puckering (but in need of an iron) and nice and easy.
Blind hem
Just to finish, when I read how to do it in the book, there were no clear instructions, and also I couldn't understand how just using a couple of strands of the fabric would hold it together.
But it does, as long as you don't do them too far apart.
LOL that can happen when you just want to finish it already.

There is a whole lot of explanations here, but if you read, put into practice and do it, you will see just how easy it is, once you know. :)

No comments: