Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

First time sewing - Glam rock costume for party part 1 of 2

This post is back from July 2008, but I actually made it WAY before that.
This was my very first time really using a sewing machine. I have no idea what I was doing, just went for it.


I made this a few years ago for a Halloween party we went to that had a glam rock theme.
I must remind you that I can't sew, I try, but really have not been shown a thing, I use the instruction manual to thread my Nan's ancient sewing machine every time.
I had been nagging my hubby to spare some time so I could fit him, but no such luck.
I bought the material because I had an idea in my head of what I wanted but the actual "costume" was done in about 3 hours (right before the party) gah! it was stress plus!

Ok Firstly buy your material, I just bought some cheap vinyl that was marked down from the furnishing section of the fabric shop, I also bought some mega fluffy fur fabric.

To make the vest, I just got one of my hubbies singlets he wears under his shirts and folded my fabric in 2 and cut around it ( I left quite a margin for error as this material has no stretch) probably about 5 cms').
I then left the back as it was and cut the front piece straight down the middle.
I then sewed the front to the sides and made my hubby put it on.
I then just drew where I wanted the "vest" to go down to, like the cut, then of course cut it out.
Then I just folded up the edge and sewed it to straighten the seams.
I used the same kind of pattern here, though in hindsight I would probably use a pair of well fitting jeans, however I used a pair of track pants and cut around the fabric (folded in two) with the track pants as a guide.
I then sewed both sides together and made my hubby put them on.
This is where hindsight come sin... the track pants were way too baggy hence a WAY too big pattern for the pants, however it was EASY to take them in, so don't be scared of a pattern too big.
All I did was to make him try them on inside out and them pin up the slack ( I did it on the inside of the leg but after playing with your pattern you will see where it needs it), after pinning I just sewed on the outside of the pins then cut off the excess fabric, easy!
Also remember that if you use fabric with no give as I have , well remember than it has no give so it can't be skin tight if you want to be able to actually move ;) So make sure you get your model or yourself to move around a bit before sewing up the slack, to make sure you can sit,walk etc :)
This is where some of the fur was used, I just got my hubby to wear his ugg boots, then wrapped around each leg a piece of the fur which I fastened with thick elastic in a ballet boot kind of way.
The studs are easy to add also, you can get a packet of them in your craft/fabric store and you simply use a hammer to smash them on (it takes out the frustration of doing things at the last minute also) :P hehe
My messy seams! hey I was in a hurry, and it worked. Also I must point out, I don't know the rule of sewing but when I make things with fabrics that don't have any give I always double seam them, just for safety! :)

No comments: